SPINACH, NUT & DATE SALAD
THIS IS ANOTHER SUMAC BASED SALAD - SORRY! BUT I'M NOT REALLY, 'COS IT'S DELICIOUS! THIS IS BASED ON SOMETHING FROM AN OTTOLENGHI BOOK THAT I MADE FOR MY WEDDING, THE BOOK WAS BORROWED SO I HAVE REMADE IT SLIGHTLY DIFFERENTLY EVERY TIME - IT HAS CURRENTLY EVOLVED INTO THIS VERSION! THANK YOU OTTILENGHI! IT'S A GREAT SIDE TO HAVE WITH MY BEETROOT FALAFELS.
1. Melt the oil and butter together over a medium low heat
2. Add in the nuts and sumac and stir together to gently cook for 10-15 minutes, stir them intermittently so nothing burns.
3. Take off the heat and leave to cool down for 20 minutes or so.
4. Meanwhile In a large bowl combine the spinach red onion, dates, pomegranate seeds and carrot.
5. Pour the cooled (can still be slightly warm) nut and sumac mixture over the spinach.
6. Squeeze over the lemon juice and drizzle over the pomegranate molasses.
7. Toss together thoroughly and serve.
- Whole bag fresh baby/young spinach (3-400g)
- 3 carrots, grated
- 150g mixed almonds and pecans, roughly chopped
- 2-3tbsp sumac
- Heaped tbsp coriander seeds
- 3 tbsp olive oil & 30g butter
- 4-5 chopped dates
- ½ pomegranate
- ½ red onion, very finely sliced
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Drizzle of pomegranate molasses