THIS IS SUCH A TASTY SALAD, IT IS PERFECT AS A MEAL ALL IN ITSELF (JUST UP THE FETA - 100G OF FETA IS ABOUT 17.4G PROTEIN, SO PERHAPS GO 50G IN YOUR PORTION AND ALSO ADD IN SOME CHICKPEAS AT 6.3G PROTEIN/100G, OR FIRM TOFU AT 12G PROTEIN/100G). I LOVE TO HAVE IT WITH GARLIC AND ROSEMARY LAMB CHOPS, OR FOR A TREAT AN ORGANIC SIRLOIN STEAK. THE AVOCADO IS AN IMPORTANT INGREDIENT IF HAVING THIS SALAD WITH SOME RED MEAT AS RESEARCH HAS SHOWN THAT AVOCADO CAN SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCES THE INFLAMMATORY MARKERS AND VASOCONSTRICTION RESULTING FROM EATING RED MEAT, (THAT'S ONE REASON THEY'RE KNOWN AS THE HEART HEALTHY FRUIT!).
- Baby gem lettuce
- 100g black or green olives (whichever you like, get ones that are marinaded in extra virgin olive oil), roughly chopped or sliced
- 10 sundried tomato halves (again marinated in extra virgin olive oil), roughly chopped
- 100g fresh tomatoes, halved
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 100g feta, crumbled
- large handful each of mint and parsley, roughly chopped together.
- juice of half a lemon
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, (squashed with the flat of a knife)
- generous pinch salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp golden caster sugar
- Leave the gem lettuce aside and mix all the salad ingredients and half the chopped herbs in a bowel.
- Pour half the dressing over the mix in the bowel and gentle stir, fold through so as not to break up the avocado and feta too much (or it all turns to smush!)
- Break off all the leaves of the gem lettuce (wash them first) then assemble in a fan shape around the largest plate or serving dish you have., (the bitter bottom of the leaves in the centre with the tops facing out).
- Shake the rest of the salad ingredients over the lettuce leaves, leaving the leafy green tops show around the edge.
- Drizzle over the remaining dressing, and sprinkle over the remaining herbs.
Serve on the platter like this alongside whichever meat you like with it and perhaps a few sweet potato wedges. it looks so beautiful and you can pick up a lettuce leaf (or 2 or 3!) with all the delicious salad mix scooped into it!