PRESERVED LEMON & CORN SALAD
I HAVE BECOME SLIGHTLY OBSESSED WITH PRESERVED LEMONS RECENTLY, IT SEEMS ADDING THEM TO ANYTHING IMPROVES IT- POLENTA, QUINOA, MIDDLE EASTERN VEG, AND NOW THIS. ALTHOUGH I CAN'T CLAIM TO HAVE INVENTED THIS MYSELF, MY HUSBAND CAME UP WITH IT OFF THE CUFF AND IT'S MY NEW FAVOURITE SALAD, USING OUR VERY OWN ROCKET FROM THE BATH TUB! WE HAD IT WITH LAMB SKEWERS RUBBED IN BAHART SPICE WITH HUMMUS ON THE SIDE, IT WAS DELICIOUS AND TOOK 20 MINS START TO FINISH, (INCLUDING THE SKEWERS)
- 2 corn on the cobs
- 50-70g pine nuts
- 1 preserved lemon, finely chopped
- 1 large handful rocket, roughly chopped
- drizzle chilli oil
- drizzle pomegranate molasses
- 1/2 pomegranate
- Put the corns in boiling water for roughly 6-8 minutes until they are done
- Whilst they are cooking, toast the pine nuts in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat (keep a case eye on these, they turn very quickly!)
- Finely chop up the preserved lemon, and roughly chop the rocket.
- When the corns are done, run them under cold water so they are cool enough to handle then carefully cut all the corns off the cob.
- Combine the lot in a large bowl, hit out the seeds of the pomegranate (hold it over the bowl and smack with the back of wooden spoon - works a treat!) then stir through a generous drizzle of chilli oil and pomegranate molasses!
This salad takes pretty much takes the same time as the Lamb skewers did to cook. For the skewers I just rubbed the lamb in olive oil and baharat spice mix, salt and pepper. Then made kebabs with some roughly chopped red pepper and red onion, whacked them under the grill and got on with the salad - so easy!