GLUTEN FREE PANCAKES RECIPES
A SIMPLE BUCKWHEAT DROP-SCONE
1 small cup buckwheat flour (roughly 200g)
1/2 cup full fat organic milk/coconut milk/almond milk
Combine all ingredients and whisk into a smooth, thick batter.
Use a teaspoon of coconut fat or butter melted in a frying pan over a medium heat, and "drop" in spoonfuls of the mixture. They are ready to flip when they can be moved around the pan (ie. the batter has cooked underneath) and are golden - usually 2-3 minutes each side.
ALMOND & COCONUT HOTCAKES
Each pancake has roughly 6g of protein, makes 14 four-inch hotcakes
300g ground almond
50g ground flaxseed
50g dessicated coconut
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3 large eggs
180 ml unsweetened almond milk, coconut milk, or full fat milk
2 tablespoons walnut oil, coconut oil, or butter, melted
- In a medium bowl, combine the almond meal, flaxseed, coconut, salt, and baking soda.
- Crack the eggs in and whisk to a thick paste
- Add the milk and oil or butter and whisk thoroughly.
- Add more milk as necessary, one tablespoon at a time, to reach pancake-batter consistency.
- Lightly oil a frying pan and heat over medium heat. Pour on 4 x 1tbsp of batter.
- Cook for three minutes, or until bubbles form and edges are cooked. Flip and cook for three minutes or until underside is lightly browned. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve with desired toppings.
MAKING YOUR OWN PANCAKES IS SIMPLE AND CAN BE GREAT FUN WITH KIDS. THESE ARE PERFECT FOR A GLUTEN FREE BREAKFAST OR BRUNCH WITH A SWEET (STEWED APPLES/BERRY COMPOTE, YOGHURT AND SEEDS) OR SAVOURY (EGGS AS YOU LIKE THEM, GRILLED TOMATOES & MUSHROOMS, AVOCADO AND BACON) TOPPING. EVEN BETTER, WHEN YOU MAKE A BATCH THEY CAN BE STORED IN THE FRIDGE FOR BREAKFASTS & LUNCHES THROUGHOUT THE WEEK. TRY ANY OF THE THREE VARIETIES BELOW - BUCKWHEAT PANCAKES FOR THAT AMERICAN FLUFFY STYLE PANCAKE, THE DROP-SCONES ARE EASY PEASY AND NEED HARDLY ANY INGREDIENTS, AND THE ALMOND HOTCAKES FOR A BIGGER PROTEIN HIT.
AMERICAN STYLE FLUFFY BUCKWHEAT PANCAKES
Makes about 12 pancakes.
- 150g buckwheat flour
- 100g chestnut flour or coconut flour (the other day I made these mixing 50g coconut & 50g milled linseeds and they were great!)
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 whole eggs + 3 eggs separated into yolks and whites
- 5 generous tbsp Natural live yoghurt (leave this out if you are on FODMAPS and replace with 100ml extra almond milk)
- 50ml milk (or unsweetened almond milk)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 heaped tsp golden caster sugar or lacuma powder
- Combine flours (& linseeds if using) with the 2 whole eggs, the 3 egg yolks and bicarbonate of soda in a mixer, or whisk together by hand.
- Whisk in the yoghurt , salt and sugar (or lacuma powder) until fully combined.
- Whisk 3 eggs whites into soft peaks
- Fold egg whites into the flour mixture and eggs mixture
- Heat a frying pan on a medium heat and melt the coconut fat, swirl it around the pan.
- Using a large tablespoon or a small ladle (it is really up to you depending on how big you want to make the pancakes) spoon in the pancake mixture into (roughly) 5 inch circles in the pan.
- It will cook quiet quickly, probably about 3-4 minutes.
- Once flipped it will rise due to the egg whites, but will take about the same cook on this side too (just check it is a nice golden colour on both sides).
- Eat nice and warm and fluffy straight away! Or if you are cooking lots for the family just keep them warm in the oven in low heat oven (110degC) until you are ready.