COURGETTE & CORN FRITTERS
I MADE THESE ON A SUNDAY MORNING WHEN I REALLY WANTED SOMETHING TO GO WITH MY EGGS BUT DIDN'T WANT ANY GRAINS, AND HAD 2 LEFTOVER EGG WHITES TO USE UP. FOUND A COURGETTE AND CORN COB IN THE FRIDGE AND OFF I WENT! THESE ARE A GREAT, COMPLETELY GRAIN FREE ALTERNATIVE TO PANCAKES, EVEN GLUTEN FREE ONES. FILLING AND DELICIOUS, MAKE A BATCH AND KEEP THEM FOR LUNCHES TOO.
Makes 12ish, 3inch fritters
2 courgettes, roughly grated
2 corn on the cobs, kernals cut off
4 eggs whites, whipped into stiff peaks
2 egg yolks
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp sumac
3 tsp smoked paprika
generous grind black pepper
4 tbsp chestnut flour
coconut fat for frying
- Put the grated courgette into a bowl and sprinkle with several grinds of rock salt stirring so it is all mixed through - leave this for 15-30 mins to draw the water out the courgette .
- Meanwhile cut the corns off the cob.
- Separate the four eggs, you will need all 4 egg whites but only 2 yolks so keep 2 egg yolks aside for something else (like adding them to a scrambled eggs to make it really rich and yummy!)
- Whip up the egg whites into stiff peaks, I add a little salt to this to help them.
- In a separate bowl break up the egg yolks and mix through the spices pepper.
- Now squeeze the water out the courgette - you can do this with your hands or put it into a clean tea towel and wring it out with courgette in it.
- Put the courgette and corn kernels into the bowl with the egg yolks, add the chestnut flour and combine everything fully.
- Take a large spoonful of the egg whites and fold into the mixture, then combine the mixture into the rest of the egg whites, folding gently until it's all incorporated.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan on a medium heat and melt a tsp of coconut fa tin the pan.
- Add large spoonfuls (I use a small ladle) of the fritter mix into the frying pan and leave to cook on the one side for 5-10 mins, then flip once and do the same on the other side, until they hold they're shape and are golden brown.
- Continue until all the mix is used up, adding tsp of coconut fat as you need it -keep the ones you have already cooked warm in a low oven (100 deg C) until you are ready.
Enjoy straight away with some eggs and vegetables of your choice, and if you can resist, keep some aside for lunches! I had mine with some chorizo scrambled eggs, with grilled mushrooms and tomatoes - it's my new favourite brunch!