THIS IS MORE OF AN ASSEMBLY OF FRESH INGREDIENTS, SO EVEN FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO "CAN'T COOK" (I DON'T BELIEVE YOU) THIS IS A DELICIOUS, NUTRITIOUS AND QUICK MEAL. YOU CAN EVEN BUY THE QUINOA PRECOOKED, SO THERE IS NO EXCUSES FOR NOT GIVING IT A GO! THERE'S ENOUGH TO EAT FOR SUPPER THEN HAVE LEFT OVERS FOR LUNCH, WIN WIN!
- 200g quinoa cooked (this can be pre-bought)
- 300g baby plum tomatoes, chopped or halved
- Large handful rocket, chopped
- 2 cucumbers chopped
- Small bunch of spring onions, finely sliced (green bits only if you are FODMAPS)
- 2 red/yellow peppers diced (red if you are on FODMAPS)
- Large bunch of parsley and mint, finely chopped
- Juice 1 lemon
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- 500g pre-cooked prawns (or if you have time raw prawns gently sautéed till pink in a knob of butter) – other fish liked smoked mackerel is also yummy, or mix fish and chicken if you have some left overs.
Make the quinoa first -
- Put it in pan just covered with water and a teaspoon of reduced salt bouillon (leave this out if on FODMAPS)
- Keep the heat medium so the water bubbles away, and frequently stir the quinoa.
- The quinoa is ready when the tails just start to come away, and if you taste it it has a little pop to its texture, usually no more than 10 minutes. If the water is cooking away too fast before the quinoa is ready, top it up very slightly and keep stirring as the water boils and evaporates. Ideally you want to keep the pan on the heat cooking away all the water as you stir (so it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan).
- Leave to cool down spread out in a dish.
Combine all the ingredients with the quinoa in a large bowl/dish, mix thoroughly and season to taste. The tabbouleh in the picture also has some chorizo in as I had some in the fridge, I just chopped it and gently fried it until a bit crispy then poured the whole lot with the oil in - Yum!